A Brief History of Birkenhead 1948 onwards.

From the book
The Headland with the Birches by Agnes McCulloch

Interesting dates and Information

1948 The foundation stone laid of the Electricity Power Station, Bromborough
1950 The foundation stone laid of Birkenhead Technical College by H.M. The Queen
1951 Population: 142,392
1953 The new Police Headquarters opened
1955 The Technical College opened
1960 Tranmere Oil Terminal established
1961
Population: 141,683
1967 Work began on Mersey Tunnel Approaches Scheme
1967 Woodside Station closed
1969 Official Opening of the Mersey Tunnel Approaches Scheme
1970 St. Mary’s Church demolished
1971
Population: 137,738
1971
Quarter Sessions terminated by Courts Act
1973 The Official opening of the new Fire Station
1974 Birkenhead became part of the Metropolitan Borough of Wirral
1978 The extension of the Mersey Railway opened by H.M. Queen Elizabeth II
1982 Arrowe Park Hospital opened
1986 Merseyside County Council abolished
1986 Police now part of the Merseyside Police Authority.
1986 Fire Services now known as Merseyside Fire and Civil Defence Authority.


1150 to 1858 | 1860 to 1948 | 1948 onwards