A Brief History of Birkenhead 1150 to 1858.

From the book
Birkenhead Yesterday and Today by W.R.S. McIntyre Published 1948


Interesting dates and Information

1150 Circa Birkenhead Priory founded by Hamo Mascy
1275 & 1277 Edward I visited the Priory
1330 Edward III granted the Priors and their successors forever the right to ferry over the Mersey
1536 Circa The Priory closed
1544 Priory lands and ferry purchased by Ralph Worsley
1572 Worsley died, the lands and ferry passed to the Powell family
1643 Cavalier troops, ‘Kept a guard about Berket wood’
1644 Cavalier troops, ‘possessed themselves of Berkett in Worrall’
1713 Priory lands and ferry bought by John Cleveland, a merchant of Liverpool
1716 Cleveland died, lands and ferry passed to the Price family
1762 Six-horsed coach ran between Woodside Ferry, Parkgate and Chester
1790 Embankment built across Tranmere Pool to carry Chester Road into Birkenhead
1801
Population: Birkenhead 110 Tranmere 353 Oxton 137 Claughton 67
1810 Population: Birkenhead 105 Tranmere 474 Oxton 128 Claughton 88
1815 Small steamboat appeared in the Mersey
1817 Tranmere Ferry ran the first steam ferry boat
1820 Birkenhead Ferry started a steam boat service (This ferry closed in 1870)
1821 St. Mary’s Church opened
1821
Population: Birkenhead 200 Tranmere 825 Oxton 169 Claughton 119
1822 Steamboats on the Woodside Ferry Service
1824 William Laird set up his shipyard on Wallasey Pool
1826 A second shipyard, with patent slip, opened on Wallasey Pool
1829 Lairds built their first iron vessel
1831
Population: Birkenhead 2,569 Tranmere 1,168 Oxton 234 Claughton 224
1833 Act passed for appointment of ‘Commissioners for the Improvement of Birkenhead’
1833 Lairds built their first paddle steamer
1834 Woodside Royal Mail Ferry Hotel built
1838 Monks’ Ferry started (This ferry closed in 1878)
1840 William Jackson’s as Works set up
1840 Birkenhead – Chester Railway opened
1841
Population: Birkenhead 8,223 Tranmere 2,554 Oxton 546 Claughton 240
1842 Woodside Ferry purchased b the Birkenhead Commissioners
1843 Spring Hill water works opened
1843 Old Hall demolished
1844 Foundation stone of Docks laid
1844 Railway Tunnel to Monks’ Ferry constructed
1845 Market opened
1847 First Docks opened
1847 Birkenhead Park opened
1851
Population: Birkenhead 24,86 Tranmere 6,519 Oxton 2,007 Claughton 714
1853-1856 Gaving Docks between Woodside and Monks Ferry constructed
1853-1856 Lairds’ yard set up on river front
1854 Great Western Railway opened through route from Birkenhead to London
1858 Birkenhead Docks transferred to Mersey Docks and Harbour Board
1858 Lairds built their first steel ship

1150 to 1858 | 1860 to 1948 | 1948 onwards